OSU tops Wisconsin..Orange win overtime thriller
UNDATED (AP) - Arizona loses, Syracuse wins and now it appears the Orange are poised to take over as the No. 1-ranked team in the country.
- Top-ranked Arizona fell at California 60-58. Justin Cobbs keyed the upset with 19 points for coach Mike Montgomery's Bears. David Kravish added 14 points and 11 rebounds. It's Cal's first victory over a top-ranked opponent since Jan. 30, 1994, when they beat UCLA 85-70 at the Oakland Coliseum.
- Longtime Hall of Fame Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim called it the greatest game in the history of the Carrier Dome. When the screaming of more than 35,446 ended at the Dome, second-ranked Syracuse was still unbeaten after outlasting 17th-ranked Duke 91-89 in overtime. C.J. Fair led the Orange with 28 points. Jerami Grant scored eight of his career-high 24 in overtime. The Orange are 21-0.
Duke's Rasheed Sulaimon beat the buzzer in regulation with an off-balance 3-pointer that tied it at 78. The Blue Devils led 87-84 with 80 seconds left in overtime before Syracuse rallied. Jabari Parker had 15 points and nine rebounds before fouling out.
In other Top-25 play:
- The third-ranked Florida Gators had an easy time of it in beating Texas A&M, 69-36. The win gives the Gators a mark of 19-2.
- The fourth-ranked Wichita State Shockers improved to 23-0 with an 81-67 win over Evansville. Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker scored 14 points apiece for the Shockers who also got 13 points from Cleanthony Early. Wichita State is now 10-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference.
- Coach Steve Fisher won his 300th game at San Diego State when Xavier Thames scored 24 points and Winston Shepard had 17 to lead the No. 5 Aztecs over Colorado State 65-56. SDSU is the 18th school to have a coach win 300 or more games.
- Isaiah Taylor scored 23 points, Jonathan Holmes had 22 and No. 25 Texas rolled over No. 6 Kansas 81-69 for its sixth consecutive victory. The Longhorns' suffocating defense held Kansas to 39 percent shooting.
- Georgetown snapped a five-game losing streak by beating seventh-ranked Michigan State 64-60. Markel Starks had 16 points for the Hoyas. Michigan State, which is 19-3, played without injured frontcourt players Adreian Payne and Branden Dawson and the Spartans had a tough time shooting.
- Oklahoma State, ranked eighth by the AP, was upset by Bradley 76-70. Brady Heslip scored a season-high 20 points in the win, which brought to an end a five-game losing streak. Markel Brown scored 24 points and made 6 of 8 3-pointers and Le'Bryan Nash scored 19 points for Oklahoma State, which fell to 16-5.
- James Bell scored 19 points to lead No. 9 Villanova to a 90-74 win over Temple to earn Philly bragging rights. The win earned Villanova a perfect 4-0 record in Big 5 play and its 22nd Big 5 championship in program history.
- 11th-ranked Kentucky edged Missouri 84-79. Aaron Harrison scored 21 points and James Young added 20 for the Wildcats. Kentucky is now 16-5 overall and 6-2 in the Southeastern Conference. Jabari Brown finished with a career-high 33 points and Jordan Clarkson scored 28 to keep Missouri in the game.
-- The 12th-ranked Louisville Cardinals beat Central Florida 87-70. Russ Smith scored 27 points and Luke Hancock added 16 for the defending national champions.
- Gabriel Olaseni had 15 points and 12 rebounds and No. 15 Iowa overcame Illinois' furious comeback to pull out an 81-74 victory in Champaign.
- In a game of two ranked schools, No. 16 Iowa State beat 23rd-ranked Oklahoma 81-75. Sophomore Georges Niang scored a career-high 27 points in the victory which gives the Cyclones a record of 16-4. The Sooners, by losing, fell to 17-5.
- Saint Louis, the 19th-ranked team in the AP poll, is now 20-2 after an 87-81 victory over George Mason. Rob Loe scored 10 of his career high 23 points in overtime to help the Billikens get the win. The Billikens have reeled off 14 victories in a row, the sixth-longest active winning streak in the country.
-- Halil Kanacevic scored 18 points and Saint Joseph's broke away from a late tie to beat No. 21 Massachusetts 73-68.
- Nic Moore had 14 points with 10 assists as SMU stayed undefeated at home by beating No. 22 Memphis 87-72. The 16-5 Tigers lost a conference road game for the first time in two years.
- No. 24 Ohio State beat 14th-ranked Wisconsin 59-58 on the Badgers' home court. Aaron Craft wrapped it up by scoring all seven of his points in the final 4 minutes. LaQuinton Ross added 13 for the game as the Buckeyes upped their record to 17-5. Sam Dekker missed a 3 at the buzzer for Wisconsin, which suffered a third straight home loss.